The short history of the County by Węgorapa River
 

The past administrative forms were similiar to the nowadays county administrative forms we can find in XIV th century, when the Galindian Tribe Dense Forest started to become theTeutonic colony. Maybe in 1312 the teutonics built a small wooden castle by the Węgorapa River, which together with other military buildings in Sztynort and Giżycko was one of the military-administrative centries in the north part of of Great Masurian Lakes Land.

The oldest historical documents confirm an existing of the castle in 1335. Also the document from 1340 is known as a document (act) dividing the Galindian Tribe dense forests into districts with its seats in Węgorzewo and Giżycko.

After the secularization of the Teutonic Knights Order the districts were converted into starosty administartive districts. The seat of the starosta has remained a castle like previously.

Węgorzewo was under authority of the Natangian District, being simultaneously a higher importance unit for parishes. Near the 1560 the parish in Radzieje was joined to the Węgorzewo Starosty District. Until that time the parish in Radzieje was under the authorities of Barciany village. In 1656 the Węgorzewo starosty districts reached far to the East, including parishes in Górne and Gołdap. In 1701 the Starosty District of Węgorzewo entered in composition of military-financial district in Królewiec (Königsberg), which acted the same role as provinces nowadays. After the next 65 years the Starosty district passed under Gąbin District Authorities.

In the following years starosty administratrive districts lost its importance and position of Starost was only symbolical.

In 1818 simultaneously with administration's reform the counties strategy was elaborated.
The Węgorzewo County consisted the following parishes: The Parish in Węgorzewo, Węgielsztyn, Budry, Kruklanki, Kuty, Banie Mazurskie, Radzieje and parish in Doba. This situation has remained with small changes to 1945. ( Pozezdrze and Surwiły villages were joined in 1907) .

 

After the end of the 2 nd World war the south pieces of Darkiejmy and Gierdawa counties were joined to Węgorzewo-Węgobork County.
In 1955 from the Węgorzewo County to the Gołdap County „passed” to the Banie Mazurskie commune. The Węgorzewo County stopped to exist at the same time as an administrative reform in 1975.

In most conceptions of the local division of whole county after 1989 Węgorzewo was treated as a seat of the county, which consisted of: Banie Mazurskie Commune, Budry Commune, Pozezdrze and Węgorzewo Communes. However the administrative reform in county in 1998 did not accepted an axisting of the Węgorzewo County. After the correction of the system of counties in 2001 in 1 st of January 2002 the Węgorzewo County was established.

It consisted of: The Węgorzewo Commune, Budry Commune and Pozezdrze Commune. ( Banie Mazurskie Commune was joined to newly established Gołdap County. Kruklanki County remained in Giżycko County.

J. M. Łapo, Powiat nad Węgorapą,

Starostwo Powiatowe w Węgorzewie

Realizacja: IDcom-web.pl